Clients are unique and all have their own individual goals and targets. When creating a workout for a client, you need to have their individual goals in mind, and exactly what they want to get out of each session. Goals could include getting stronger, looking bigger and building thickness, or perhaps to look leaner and show more definition and tone. Weights workouts can be optimised for each different goal. Below is our list of top 5 recommended personal training tips for building a weights workout around a clients needs.
1.Tips for Building Strength: 5×5 (5 sets of 5 reps)
- Low reps
- Heavy weight, you should only be able to achieve 5 reps each set until failure
- Maintain good, strong form whatever muscle group you are targeting
- Form over function
- Take your time on each rep, be smooth, clinical and clean
- Long rest periods between sets (2-3 minutes)
2. Tips for Building Volume: 10×10 (10 sets of 10 reps) German Volume Training (GVT)
- GVT is proven to build large amounts of volume in small amounts of time
- Mentally and physically tough, will put your client through their paces
- Medium rest periods between sets (1-2 minutes)
3. Tips for Toning: 5×12 (5 sets of 12 reps) with a dropset on the final 2 sets
- High reps
- Dropset to increase blood flow into muscles, continue to breakdown muscle fibres after the initial set, and to get a burning sensation in the targeted muscle group
- Short rest periods between sets (30-90 seconds)
4. Give the client enough time to rest in-between sets, a longer rest period will often allow for the client to lift a higher weight, as the muscles have a chance to recover between lifts.
5. Use dumbbells!
Avoid Barbells and Smith machines when possible, as using dumbbells will
- identifies and eliminates any strength imbalances
- be more joint friendly and reduce the risk of injury
- safer, doesn’t always require a spot
- Increased range of motion, targeting and putting the muscle group under pressure for a greater period of work during each rep
6. Consume Protein and/or Post-workout meals ideally within 15 minutes of end of workout